Monday, August 23, 2010

Mod 6 - Digital Divide






I believe that as a leader in educational technology that my goal is to not only continue learning about new technologies but also to inform and teach others about it. I believe that by teaching our students we are teaching the future and with that comes great responsibility. I have the responsibility to teach what I have learned to others including my students. This is one way that I can help make emerging technologies valuable to others and also help to close the digital divide. As I do this I need to keep in mind teaching it equally across the gender, cultural, and socioeconomic arenas. Our future involves technology and that is not going to change. Soloway made a great point when he stated that the “cell phone is the one technology that can close the digital divide in a way that no other technology can” (Soloway, 2009). I happen to agree with him and I look forward to the day when the school system will be handing out smart phones to each and every student to utilize in school. Until that day comes I will continue to strive for technology equality at least within my own classroom.

Reference:

Soloway, E. (n.d.). The digital divide: leveling the playing field. Retrieved from: http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/courses/14936/CRS-WUEDUC8812-3730077/EDUC_8848_PK_Transcript.pdf

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sherry,

    Great post! I love your optimistic attitude for our future, when you say, "I look forward to the day when schools hand out smart phones to each and every student to utilize in school." How soon do you think this might happen?

    Thank you for a great learning community this quarter!

    Sincerely,
    LeAnn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry

    I almost used the same graphic as you. I found it to be so true of many areas across the globe and really portrayed the concept of digital divide. I would love it if the schools would allow for my technologies to used and if it was distributed by the school...awesome. At times we take for granted that all of our students are connected, when in reality many are not. by hsving the school distribute the technology that divide would be lessened

    ReplyDelete